Monday, October 10, 2011

The Reception of Deceptive Perceptions

The time lost in Tennessee felt like a trip in limbo.  I still recall everything vividly, but it seemed like a negative energy at work that left us there in a helpless way.  The fears that loomed earlier seemed to transform in a totally different manner.  I always felt an unearthly presence in the apartment, but instinctively noted a change in the atmosphere.  It still existed, but the fear and the seizures no longer occurred.  Who knew, maybe it followed me and stayed at the farmhouse in Tennessee. The scenario seemed unlikely, although I felt it transition without knowing what to expect later.  It seemed obvious with the changes in my parents.  Most people refuse to believe in realms that take hold and alter the effect of action and reaction.  I've always felt it to be hypocritical not to, especially from living with experiences that suggested so, even if  I met invalidation from those who didn't.

Another family of four moved into the third floor apartment.  Their son, the eldest of their two children, fell in between the ages of my brother and me.  We became a trio that did everything together, he and I even shared the same classroom at school.  Our mothers became friends and both started working together at the K Mart deli making ham and cheese sandwiches.  It became apparent that the relationship between my mom and dad was falling apart.  We no longer attended functions together.  My father took my brother and me places, or sometimes my mother did, but never the two of them together.  One time he took us with him to a pool party, hosted by one of his employees.  I learned the basic idea of swimming without being coached by anyone.  I wanted desperately to show my dad what I learned on my own, but the curvy blonde standing next to him proved to be no match for me.  Now that my parents were both employed full time and part time, their relationship turned into a powder keg just waiting to blow.  Everyday pressures turned into volatile confrontations, and selfish temptations appeared to be a deceptive choice of finding an easy way out.  It all reached a climax, after watching my parents purposely play against each others boiling points for days until finally one of them snapped.  The fear that initially came after me, now had a hold of both my parents as one was literally trying to kill the other. I yelled and pleaded with the full capacity my small lungs for the violence to stop. When the confrontation ended, pieces of plaster littered the floor in the hallway and my mom laid semi conscious on the floor with a concussion.  To my disbelief, I saw the shadow of a figure at the other end of the hallway.  It was the same woman my mother befriended, the mother to my new friend.  She stood there throughout the entire altercation, without as much as even intervening to take my brother or me out of harms way.  Upon my mother's request and against my better judgement, my brother and I left with my father and the other woman.  He drove us to the home that she and her husband moved into a few weeks earlier.  Still shaken, we entered the house.  I remained quiet and refrained from saying a word, feeling possibly like a lamb being led to the slaughter.  The two people who led me here weren't the same people I knew before.  Later my father approached me and asked "You didn't really think I was going to kill her, did you?"  I remained too scared to give him an honest answer and said "No".  The landlord took my mom to the hospital where she was treated for bruises and a concussion.  She stayed with relatives who lived near Cobo Hall for a few days to recover, then picked us up to go back with her.  We lived there for a few weeks, until my mom earned enough money to move back to Midland.  It didn't take long for us to reach our goal to finally get out of the motor city once and for all.  Our new foothold would be in Chemical City USA instead.